Principal Data Scientist
The purpose of the role is to lead the Data Science capability at the Telegraph, partnering with Technology and Business Units to drive growth. You will be responsible for the development and delivery of the data science project roadmap e.g. marketing attribution modelling, inventory allocation and pricing modelling, circulation distribution optimisation and subscriber acquisition and churn modelling.
- Lead the Data Science team at The Telegraph and bring exceptional skills and experience to drive the team forward, co-designing and delivering solutions
- A very hands-on approach, balancing purity and pragmatism, to ensure the products the team deliver have appropriate business application and are fully adopted to deliver real-life value
- Proactively identify and gather business requirements, translating a business problem into a data solution that will materially increase revenues or reduce operational costs
- Work closely with data engineers and business area owner to deliver end to end solutions from POC through to fully operational delivery
- Manage stakeholders expectations through outstanding communication and interactions
- Collaborate with the wider Insight & Analytics functions to help share and co-ordinate knowledge across the business and transform the talent and capability of the overall function
- Data platform and manipulation experience:
- SQL (preferably BigQuery)
- Experience of working with web data (volumes, imperfections)
- Understanding of the tools used to build data pipelines
- Hands-on experience with cloud platforms, preferably with Google Cloud
- Programming skills - extensive experience of Python base programming and working knowledge of the following Python libraries: pandas, NumPy, scikit-learn and TensorFlow or other deep learning frameworks
- Machine learning experience:
- Mastering the machine-learning end-to-end process - model training, testing and deployment in production
- In-depth understanding of traditional algorithms - being able to explain their hyperparameters and how to tune them
- Practical experience of NLP
- Good understanding of deep learning architectures (feedforward, CNN, RNN)
- Project management - working knowledge of the agile framework
- Interpersonal skills - exceptional relationship-building skills both with direct team members and stakeholders; with an ability to explain complex technical problems to a business audience
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, and more).
- In-role development and access to formal development.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.