Head of Retention, Subscriptions
Our vision, with quality journalism at the heart, is to pioneer new ways to serve 10 million registered users and 1 million subscribers. We’ll achieve this with a constant focus on our journalism, and by using the data and understanding we have of The Telegraph’s audience to successfully grow our revenue streams from subscriptions to advertising, travel, events, and financial services.
As the Head of Retention, Subscriptions you will be responsible for overseeing and driving The Telegraph’s long-term subscriber retention and engagement strategies with the ultimate goal of improving our subscriber retention and reducing churn.
Purpose of the role:
- You will develop and execute on The Telegraph’s subscriber retention and engagement strategies
- To improve our subscriber retention and LTV
- You will own end-to-end subscriber communications with continual optimisation and testing and reporting to identify correlations with improvements to retention
- Reporting, forecasting, and analysis for weekly / monthly updates on retention performance
- To improve The Telegraph’s LTV and brand affinity
- Support The Telegraph’s registration strategy, including (re-)engagement of colder registrants.
- Lead, direct, and mentor a team of professionals focused on subscriber retention strategy and subscriber engagement
- Build and develop the team to support world-class subscriber experience, engagement and retention strategy and foster a culture of continuous improvement
- Become the evangelist for customer-centric, data-led subscriber retention strategies business-wide. Support stakeholders in understanding their impact and influence on retention and LTV
- Build out retention reporting and LTV models, and develop a program health metric
- Develop and implement the subscriber churn propensity model, segmenting subscribers effectively
- Develop, test, implement and measure strategies, ensuring alignment with the delivery of our proposition strategy
- Drive awareness and adoption of digital products by print subscribers
- Maintain and develop a network, industry knowledge and competitive awareness
- Work closely with our Customer Engagement Centre and CRM teams on engagement and comms
- We’re looking for someone with solid experience in customer/subscriber retention, loyalty and marketing experience, ideally within a media and/or membership/subscriptions environment
- A track record of effective team and culture building including management and development of both direct and matrix teams
- Experience in a business that operates a consumer subscription-based business model
- Used to working in a highly data-literate environment, within a strategy that converts data and analytics into actionable insight and strategies
- You will have managed a marketing budget effectively, working creatively to use the budget and deliver ROI
Skills & Qualities:
- Creative and innovative, finding imaginative ways around tactical problems
- A strong understanding of targeted multi-channel initiatives and campaigns
- An understanding of the role of broader engagement in retention and lifetime
- Excellent communication skills, able to nurture relationships across all levels
- Passionate about developing teams, individuals (within both direct and matrix team environments) and culture of respect and excellence aligned with business values.
- Excellent attention to detail, planning and time management skills with the ability to work to competing tight deadlines under pressure, with a positive attitude.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, GPs and more)
- In-role development and access to formal development