Core Operations Engineer
The IT landscape at The Telegraph is changing as we’ve recently embarked on an exciting modernisation program. This role, within the Core Operations team, is right at the forefront of the changes taking place, spearheading our plans to migrate our on-premise (VMware) server infrastructure to the Google Cloud Platform. This is a unique opportunity to work for an established industry-leading brand with some of the hottest “infrastructure as code” tools available. The Telegraph is committed to getting the work life balance just right, by offering flexible working options such as “working from home”, a free on-site gym and a superb benefits package.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic, ideas driven and have the determination to succeed. As a Windows Cloud Engineer, you will have advanced knowledge of the Windows Server OS and good PowerShell skills, at least 1 years experience using the public cloud (GCP, AWS, AZURE) and infrastructure as code tools.
- Automate processes and workflows where possible. (winops approach using chosen Telegraph tools such as Terraform, Puppet and other open source software)
- Migration of services to cloud environments such as GCP, AWS etc
- Installation, configuration, maintenance and ongoing availability of all The Telegraph’s servers and server infrastructure within the established standards and guidelines
- Proactively monitor the server farm to reduce outage to a minimum
- Keep all Team members up to date with effective documentation and knowledge transfer
- Working on projects introducing new technologies and workflows into business as usual (BAU) operations
- Working with IT staff as appropriate to determine root cause, solutions and service improvements
- Providing technical resource to facilitate project delivery
- Work closely with the various operational teams as well as 3rd party vendors and service delivery partners.
- Provide oncall support outside of core support hours which are between 08:00 and 18:00
Key Skills and Experience:
- Have a passion for engineering excellence
- Experienced in Windows system administration
- Knowledge of VMWare
- Interest in cloud orchestration. (Terraform, Puppet, Jenkins, GIT, PowerShell DSC, GCP
- Administration, gcloud, gsutil)
- Interest in AWS and GCP services.
- Interest in Citrix, SCCM and Appsense
- Proven troubleshooting skills.
Useful (but not essential) Additional Skills:
- RedHat Linux
- Fujitsu server blade administration
- Knowledge of SAN technologies (EMC)
- TIL Foundation
- Experience or working in an agile environment
- Working as part of a great team with excellent career development opportunities
- Fantastic training opportunities
- Opportunity to work with Cloud Technologies
- Flexible working options
- Free on-site gym and massages
- Buying Holiday (can buy up to 3 days extra holiday per year)
- Private health cover, onsite GP and Physio
- Cycle to work scheme, Season Ticket Loans
- Easily accessible location above Victoria Station