Senior Web Developer, Editorial
As a Senior Developer within the Editorial Development team, you'll develop web tools and content that innovate our editorial storytelling.
The editorial development team operates in an entirely lean way, is entirely innovation driven, and focuses relentlessly on minimising the time it takes to roll out and optimise new editorial formats on telegraph.co.uk. This is accomplished by assessing new technologies on a regular basis to trial their usefulness, usability and most importantly whether they're fit for purpose.
Along with an editorial new formats team and designers, we:
- develop and experiment with reusable article formats, before rolling out proven successes across the newsroom to help journalists publish faster and more efficiently
- quickly create bespoke, quality interactives in breaking and trending news situations
- Develop tools that can be used internally for journalists to create their own bespoke content.
- Develop with a lightweight front end framework in the form of units of embed code, that will render front end components into pages they are embedded in. The embeds will be rendered/delivered within The Telegraph’s AEM Content Management System.
- Working with the various API’s built by the technology team, like the content API and the Telegraph semantic data stack.
- Excited by rapid, lean development procedures with very little administrative overhead.
- UX sensibility is a big plus.
- Experience with dynamic graphic elements, like SVG, and be comfortable at establishing workflows for producing and adapting them rapidly.
- Understand gradual degradation, progressive enhancement, and a proven track record in responsive design.
- Experience in building self-updating real-time front end components using HTTP/REST API calls and the Websocket protocol.
- Strive to receive feedback in the form of real user stats, as quickly as possible after building, and relentlessly drive this time-to-feedback downward.
- Comfortable with the fact that decisions and output will be proven wrong by stats and thrown away. Adapt very quickly.
- Own work with pride.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.