Senior Data Engineer
This is a crucial role within the Telegraph data project and innovation team. Working closely with a cross functional team of data scientists, analysts and engineers, you’ll be an integral part of the data engineering chapter driving evolution of the data architecture, supporting the use cutting edge AI and ML to optimise business processes. Alongside other senior team members, you’ll take part in shaping the team across aspects such as resourcing, technology and product.
You will be involved in growing the function, providing technical leadership and advising on the data strategy of the entire organisation moving forward.
You’ll head the development of data platforms, with reliability, scalability and performance in mind, along with other members of the Data Engineering team, in order to enable near real-time streaming capabilities.
You will be working with the wider business in order to lead the development of data processing procedures, database structures and improving performance to meet business requirements. The role requires the ability to interface effectively with multiple stakeholders throughout the business and the capability to manage expectations accordingly.
- Guide day-to-day technical decisions and contribute in strategic planning discussions
- Team leadership – provide mentorship and support to the team
- Understand both technical and not technical requirements and translate them into effective solutions through actionable tasks
- Work on designing and building solutions across multiple business areas ensuring high standards of quality and smooth integration
- Define technology roadmap to ensure that the best technologies are used in the right way and investigate new opportunities with the most recent cloud technologies
- Define and enforce best practices in terms of code quality and design of processes
- Build and maintain key engineering blocks that other teams can rely upon (such as APIs and Big Data implementations)
- Support the current stack and be able to extend it with new features
- Work closely with The Telegraph’s business intelligence users, operations and development teams on projects and CR’s, encouraging a data-driven and pragmatic approach to tackling challenges and problems
- Follow the Agile methodologies implemented in the Engineering team
- Ensure a globally robust and highly scalable approach to development to support our growing number of global users and services
- Having a polyglot attitude to various programming languages and tools is a must as some of the tech required includes:
- Python data pipelines, ability to implement ETL processes in Python
- Git, Docker, Jenkins, REST API
- Google Cloud Platform or Amazon AWS
- SQL, scripting, relational, BI,
- Bash language
- Solid background of design, build and maintenance of modern cloud-based Big Data platforms
- Data modelling skills: ability to understand the best way to model data starting from a visualisation
- Experience in using continuous delivery to ship in-production high-quality software
- Experience working and mentoring cross-functional team. Understand personal skills identify new areas of training and suggest the right project for the right person
- Experience in design cloud-based solutions for both batch and real-time data processing
- Effective communication skills, ability to deliver technical presentations and share best practises and knowledge and opportunities to different audiences
- Effective problem solving and decision-making skills
Useful Additional (but not essential) Skills:
- Technologies: Elasticsearch, MySQL, Redis, BigQuery, Azkaban, Kibana, Airflow, Java, Apache Beam
- Experience in translate prediction models and Machine Learning algorithms in valuable products
- Experience of software delivery within a high web traffic/high volume transactional online/digital/ media environment
- Passionate about the craft of software development and the delivery of quality digital product Able to enthuse others aligning them to adopt and embrace the same characteristics.
- Certified GCP Professional Data Engineer or GCP Professional Cloud Architect
- The Telegraph supports flexible working, per your line manager’s agreement.
- A range of excellent benefits (including on-site gym, massages, and more).
- In-role development and access to formal development.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.