Senior Data Journalist: fixed-term contract
As a Senior Data Journalist, you will find and produce quality, highly visual data-led stories using computational methods and technologies.
You'll have the opportunity to cover some of the most important stories across the newsroom, from elections to major sporting events. You'll work both independently and collaboratively on producing exclusive news stories as well as on ambitious cutting-edge digital projects, leading the way in experimentation with new story formats.
Please note: this is a 6 month fixed-term contract to cover a period of parental leave.
- Using computational methods and technologies to find original, data-led stories, from quick news/analysis pieces to longer-term investigations. These stories should focus on providing quality, subscription-driving coverage on a range of subject matters from politics to sport.
- Collaborating with other editorial desks on key projects and embedding on those desks for longer periods of time where appropriate.
- Working with the wider visual storytelling team (including graphic designers and developers) to develop technologically innovative, data-led and highly visual editorial projects, with particular attention to the ways these projects can boost online subscriptions and audience engagement.
- Taking responsibility for the planning and execution of data-led journalism both on a daily basis and around key events, and pitching for resource/approval from other desks where appropriate. The desk is a small one and you have to be a self-starter with good ideas for stories.
- Being an evangelist for data journalism within the Telegraph newsroom - helping with the training of journalists in analysis and visualisation best practice and tools - and also on the Telegraph’s behalf - promoting our best work to the wider industry.
Essential skills required for the role
- A portfolio of work using data in journalism, including news stories and and bigger interactive projects.
- Ability to generate and pitch ideas for stories and take ownership of their execution.
- Good understanding of statistics.
- Ability to collaborate with people from a range of disciplines across the Telegraph, from reporters and desk editors to designers and developers.
- Skilled in using data visualisation to bring stories to life using industry standard applications (e.g. Highcharts, the Adobe Suite).
- Ability to work accurately at speed and under pressure in a live news environment.
- Excellent knowledge of and passion for news and current affairs.
Additional skills, preferred for the role
- Experience using cartography software (e.g. QGis) to create detailed maps.
- Experience writing scripts (R/Python etc.) that can analyse, scrape, model and visualise data.
- Strong working knowledge of HTML / CSS.
The Telegraph’s goal is to foster a diverse and inclusive workplace and we are committed to building a team that reflects a wide variety of skills, perspectives and backgrounds.
We are an equal opportunities employer, hiring solely on merit and business need. We encourage applications regardless of sex, gender identity, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, pregnancy, parenthood and disability. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.